Lunch at a Country Farm
Cold winter days call for hot soup
but beets are not on my list, still
polite behaviour requires I try,
surprised when that musty earthy taste
does not assault my tongue. This borscht
a spicy hot pink, perfect with raisin biscuits
and followed by a warm and fragrant
apple tart, redolent of cinnamon and spice.
Dog spit on my cheek optional.
CS Jan 25, 2013
Car Windows at 100 kph
Cold air on car windows begins
to fog as we reach the highway
I accelerate, take her up to 110 kph
and soon the side windows steam and fog
I brought a passenger this time, to fiddle
with vents and heat controls, bring back
blessed visibility and ability to change lanes
and take the corners, actually see what
CS Jan. 26, 2013
I’m So Ready
to hear Sutton Sammy or Wiarton Willie
or Fred from Val d’Espoir, Quebec
predict how many more weeks of winter.
Just a few days before the furry rodents
make their annual appearance, and all
the superstitious people pronounce
how many weeks of winter left to come.
Just open a calendar.
On February 2nd, you can see March 20th
is the first day of spring. Same number of weeks
whether the weather is sunny or not on every
Groundhog’s special Day.
CS Jan 27, 2013
- Wiarton Willie set to give Groundhog Day forecast (lfpress.com)
- Thursday, Jan. 24 2013 Small Stone (quillfyre.wordpress.com)
- Mindful Writing Challenge ~ January 2013 ~ Small Stone 27 (journalread.wordpress.com)
- Mindful Writing Challenge Jan ’13 (zguta.wordpress.com)
- Small Stones 2 ~ Pigeon patrol (heavenhappens.wordpress.com)
- Small Stones 1 ~ Robin (heavenhappens.wordpress.com)
- Let’s Try a Month of Meaningful Moments (writersite.org)