Today’s prompt from NaPoWriMo is to use one of the unlikely space ship names from Iain M. Banks as a title and go from there. I read today that Mr. Banks has late stage cancer. So sorry to hear that. No disrespect intended with this humorous offering.
This did not start out to be a rhyming poem, but at some point in the middle the rhyme started to come. So I went back and made some edits so the whole thing would be in synch. Take a look at the list on the website, though, and see which one appeals to you for your own poem!
A Series of Unlikely Explanations
I couldn’t call because my phone’s on fire,
I couldn’t write— my pen is filled with ice,
I couldn’t swim because I lost my lollipop,
I couldn’t ski— they made snow only twice.
The census wrote my name without a comma,
and flyers never stay in my mailbox.
I didn’t buy your gift—they had no llamas
and every monkey had the chicken pox.
For every odd and painful situation
I have a good excuse, or maybe two.
They may seem unlikely explanations,
but hey, and what the heck, I think they’ll do!
Carol A. Stephen
April 4, 2013
- NaPoWriMo #4 (maggiemendus.wordpress.com)
- NaPoWriMo: day 3 – Hypochondriac Poetry (mbvloveless.com)
- NaPoWriMo…Here I Come (howfarhownear.wordpress.com)
- NaPoWriMo Day 4# 4/30 Tribute to Iain Banks (awritersfountain.wordpress.com)
- NaPoWriMo: Four Knocking at the Door (margoroby.wordpress.com)
- April is NaPoWriMo: National Poetry Writing Month (o2bheavenlyminded.wordpress.com)